Spiced Pumpkin Rice Pudding

Thursday, October 31, 2013 - Posted by Bethany
I have never been a huge fan of Halloween. Perhaps it's because I don't have kids to dress up and take trick-or-treating, but creepy costumes and scary decorations are not my thing. However, I won't turn down the opportunity to do something fun with the menu for my residents at work. Rice pudding was already on the menu and I knew I could create something unique with it. Then it hit me... Pumpkin! And oh my word, amazing!

Spiced Pumpkin Rice Pudding


Ingredients:
1 cup rice
4 cups milk
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
whip topping (optional)

Directions:
Mix rice, milk, and brown sugar in large saucepan and heat over medium high heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients, except for whip topping, in separate bowl and set aside. After the 25 minutes add the pumpkin mix to rice and leave uncovered until rice is tender and thick. If you find it's too thick, just add a little warm milk until desired consistency. Chill or enjoy warm. Before serving, top with whip topping and/or sprinkle with cinnamon. Serves about 8.